Showing impressive form around a fast and challenging Kegums track, Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing’s Max Anstie wrapped up round six of the Motocross World Championship with a second place overall MX2 class result.

Powering his FC 250 to the holeshot in the opening MX2 moto the Brit put in a convincing performance to earn the runner-up spot behind Jeffrey Herlings. Following another good start in moto two Anstie battled his way from fourth at the end of lap one to second at the chequered flag.

For Anstie’s MXGP teammate Max Nagl the GP of Latvia was one of mixed fortunes. Capitalising on a great start in the opening MXGP moto the Rockstar energy Husqvarna Factory Racing rider found himself in the battle for the top three. Making a decisive pass on Tony Cairoli for second three laps before the end, the German went on to hunt down race leader Tim Gajser but run out of time and crossed the line as runner-up.

Nagl lined up for moto two knowing that he had the speed to battle for his first overall win of the season. He powered his FC 450 to the holeshot and was racing in third before seeing Tim Gajser crash in front of him. Unable to avoid the stricken bike ahead of him Nagl also crashed and had to resume the race in 13th position. Unwilling to give up he reached the finish in fifth for fifth overall at the GP of Latvia.

Still working his way back to full fitness Nagl’s teammate Christophe Charlier showed impressive speed around the sandy track. The Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing MXGP rider got two great starts in both motos and found himself battling inside the top six for many laps before settling for two eighth place finishes. Rounding out the GP in seventh overall Charlier proved he’s gradually getting closer to the top six in MXGP.

Standing in for injured MX2 rider Thomas Covington, 16-year-old Conrad Mewse made his World Championship debut fighting his way to 23rd overall. Unable to get good starts in any of the two motos the Brit had to battle from the back of the pack to 20/24 results.

The Latvian track also played host to the second round of the European Motocross Championship, with Yentel Martens earning 2/1 results in EMX300 class to secure a second consecutive GP victory. Just before the series’ halfway point the Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing team rider holds a seven-point lead in the championship standings.

The Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing team will return to action at round seven of the FIM Motocross World Championship in Germany on May 7/8.

Max Anstie: “It’s been an awesome weekend for myself and my team. I’ve worked really hard to build my speed and race consistency so it’s rewarding to find myself on the MX2 podium. I’ve delivered some strong rides during the last few races but things didn’t seem to go our way up until now. It was nice to finally be able to put two solid motos together and that was my goal for this GP. I felt like I rode two strong races and made some good passes. We’ve come a long way in the season so now I can be positive for the GPs to come.

Max Nagl: “Overall, I had a good weekend. I got two good starts in both motos, which was really important. Moto one went very well. I was third behind Cairoli but passed him for second a few corners before the end. I managed to get a clean holeshot in moto two. Just before the end of lap one as I was racing in third place Tim Gajser crashed in front of me in the whoops. Unfortunately, I hit his bike and crashed too. From then on I had to push really hard to make it back to the top five. It’s a bit frustrating the GP ended like that. I showed I can fight for the overall win but missed the podium by a few points. Luck wasn’t on our side but my speed was very good and that’s the most important thing as we’re heading to my home GP in Germany next weekend.

Christophe Charlier: “It was a very positive GP for us. It’s my best result so far in this season and I think it shows how much work we’re all putting in. I had great starts in both motos and managed to stay inside the top six and fight with the top guys for a few laps. My lap times around the track were good throughout the weekend and I proved I have the speed to fight for the top. I’m still lacking a bit of stamina to keep pushing hard until the end of each moto, but the speed is there now and that’s really important for the rest of the season. I’m enjoying my time on the bike and I think I can now start showing my true potential.

Results – FIM Motocross World Championship, Round 6
MXGP Overall
1. Tim Gajser (Honda) 43pts; 2. Antonio Cairoli (KTM) 42pts; 3. Romain Febvre (Yamaha) 41pts… 5. Max Nagl (Husqvarna) 38pts… 7. Christophe Charlier (Husqvarna) 26pts… 16. Jake Nicholls (Husqvarna) 10pts… 20. Rui Goncalves (Husqvarna) 3pts

MXGP Race 1
1. Tim Gajser (Honda) 17 laps, 33:55.987; 2. Max Nagl (Husqvarna) 33:57.532; 3. Antonio Cairoli (KTM) 34:01.641… 8. Christophe Charlier (Husqvarna) 34:54.546… 16. Jake Nicholls (Husqvarna) 35:34.855… 27. Rui Goncalves (Husqvarna) 16 laps, 34:32.844

MXGP Race 2
1. Romain Febvre (Yamaha) 17 laps, 34:06.040; 2. Antonio Cairoli (KTM) 34:18.460; 3. Jeremy Van Horebeek (Yamaha) 34:24.587… 5. Max Nagl (Husqvarna) 34:32.010… 8. Christophe Charlier (Husqvarna) 34:53.598… 16. Jake Nicholls (Husqvarna) 35:40.679… 18. Rui Goncalves (Husqvarna) 35:53.770

MX2 Overall
1. Jeffrey Herlings (KTM) 50pts; 2. Max Anstie (Husqvarna) 44pts; 3. Jeremy Seewer (Suzuki) 38pts… 17. Giuseppe Tropepe (Husqvarna) 6pts… 23. Conrad Mewse (Husqvarna) 1pt

MX2 Race 1
1. Jeffrey Herlings (KTM) 18 laps, 35:30.258; 2. Max Anstie (Husqvarna) 36:03.009; 3. Pauls Jonass (KTM) 36:10.170… 19. Giuseppe Tropepe (Husqvarna) 17 laps, 35:51.129; 20. Conrad Mewse (Husqvarna) 35:52.326… 23. Davide Bonini (Husqvarna) 36:25.180

MX2 Race 2
1. Jeffrey Herlings (KTM) 18 laps, 35:23.887; 2. Max Anstie (Husqvarna) 36:26.248; 3. Jeremy Seewer (Suzuki) 36:30.485… 17. Giuseppe Tropepe (Husqvarna) 17 laps, 35:54.045… 22. Davide Bonini (Husqvarna) 36:35.420… 24. Conrad Mewse (Husqvarna) 36:59.549

Championship Standings (After Round 6)
MXGP
1. Romain Febvre (Yamaha) 260pts; 2. Tim Gajser (Honda) 259pts; 3. Antonio Cairoli (KTM) 213pts; 4. Max Nagl (Husqvarna) 203pts… 12. Christophe Charlier (Husqvarna) 98pts… 23. Jake Nicholls (Husqvarna) 13pts… 31. Rui Goncalves (Husqvarna) 3pts

MX2
1. Jeffrey Herlings (KTM) 300pts; 2. Jeremy Seewer (Suzuki) 230pts; 3. Pauls Jonass (KTM) 193pts… 9. Max Anstie (Husqvarna) 126pts… 16. Thomas Covington (Husqvarna) 70pts… 21. Ben Watson (Husqvarna) 39pts… 32. Giuseppe Tropepe (Husqvarna) 6pts… 37. Lars van Berkel (Husqvarna) 3pts… 43. Conrad Mewse (Husqvarna) 1pt