Courtesy of KTM Racing
Courtesy of KTM Racing
Red Bull KTM Factory Racing’s Ryan Dungey captured his sixth victory
of the season on Saturday at round twelve of the AMA 450SX Championship
in Santa Clara, California. Dungey’s win also served as his 28th career
victory in the 450SX Class, where he now sits tied for 6th place in the
all-time record book.
Ryan Dungey qualified third overall in the morning’s combined qualifying sessions, while his teammate, Marvin Musquin,
experienced a hard crash during the final session. As a result of his
crash, Musquin was forced to miss the final minutes of the session,
where he ultimately qualified in 13th position.
Both Dungey and Musquin lined up in 450SX Heat 2 and the Red Bull KTM
duo shot off the line to capture 1-2 positions in the holeshot. Dungey
assumed the early lead, with Musquin and James Stewart close in tow.
Dungey held on for all six laps to capture the heat race win, followed
by James Stewart in 2nd and Musquin in 3rd.
In the 450SX Main Event, both Dungey and Musquin got off to a great
start as they entered the opening lap inside the top three on their KTM 450 SX-F FACTORY EDITION’s.
Dungey quickly made his way around Jason Anderson to take over the lead
position while Ken Roczen settled in close behind. From there, it was
an all-out battle for the lead between Dungey and Roczen, as both riders
pushed the limit for the full 20-lap Main Event.
In the end, Dungey prevailed to capture his 28th career victory in
the 450SX Class, while gaining valuable points in the championship
chase. Dungey now holds a 42-point lead over Roczen with five rounds
remaining in the season.
“It feels great to be back in the center of the podium,” Dungey stated. “I
got a good start and just tried to put the hammer down. Kenny (Roczen)
was right there the whole night but we just tried to ride mistake-free
and it went well.”
Musquin ultimately finished 17th in the Main Event, following a crash
during the day’s final qualifying session. Musquin now sits in 5th
place in the 450SX Championship standings.
Next Event: April 9, 2016 – Indianapolis, IN (USA)
Results 450SX Class Santa Clara 2016
1. Ryan Dungey (USA), KTM, 14:38.083 min (20 laps)
2. Ken Roczen (GER), Suzuki, +1.374 sec
3. Jason Anderson (USA), Husqvarna, +15.498
4. Chad Reed (AUS), Yamaha, +17.816
5. Trey Canard (USA), Honda, +18.166
13. Justin Brayton (USA), KTM, 19 laps, +11.026
17. Marvin Musquin (FRA), KTM, 19 laps, +25.779
Standings 450SX Class 2016 after 12 of 17 rounds
1. Dungey, 278 points
2. Ken Roczen (GER), Suzuki, 236
3. Anderson, 220
4. Tomac, 200
5. Musquin, 182
8. Brayton, 136
10. David Millsaps (USA), KTM, 105
Results West 250SX Class Santa Clara 2016
1. Cooper Webb (USA), Yamaha, 11:18.491 min (15 laps)
2. Zach Osborne (USA), Husqvarna, +1.369 sec
3. Joey Savatgy (USA), Kawasaki, +2.633
4. Christian Craig (USA), Honda, +9.740
5. Mitchell Oldenburg (USA), KTM, +15.466
Standings West 250SX Class 2016 after 8 of 9 rounds
1. Webb, 170 points
2. Savetgy, 154
3. Craig, 147
4. Osborne, 132
5. Colt Nichols (USA), Yamaha, 132
6. Oldenburg, 113
20. Jessy Nelson (USA), KTM, 22
Was this post helpful? Add yours to our service or subscribe to our feed above.