Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing’s Thomas Kjer-Olsen has secured an impressive overall MX2 class victory at the GP of Latvia. Claiming an imposing opening moto win he then went on to earn a strong runner-up position in the second moto at the rough and rutted Kegums track. 

Going from strength to strength in his first season of GP competition, the young Dane didn’t fail to deliver in Latvia. Topping Saturday’s qualifying race, the FC 250 powered rider went on to secure the first MX2 moto winning result of his career during the opening moto on Sunday. 

Putting a mediocre start behind him, Kjer-Olsen pushed hard during the second MX2 moto to claim a well-deserved runner-up result at the finish line. Collecting 47 valuable points from the GP of Latvia, the Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing rider moved up one spot in the MX2 class championship standings, where he is currently placed third. 

For Kjer-Olsen’s teammate Conrad Mewse, the GP of Latvia proved to be the most successful in the Brit’s career in the MX2 class. Earning ninth in the opening moto Conrad went on to claim an impressive third place result in the final moto. Showing he has the speed to continue battling for the top three he is now looking forward to the remainder of the series. 

Enjoying a weekend of mixed fortunes, Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing’s Thomas Covington wrapped up the GP of Latvia with 11th overall. Battling through a bad start in moto one the American went from 20th at the end of lap one to a strong sixth place result at the end of the race. Getting a better start in moto two, Covington lead the moto for five laps but a fall dropped him to 17th. 

Enjoying a good GP in Kegums, all three Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing MXGP riders managed to claim spots inside the top seven in the overall standings. Battling the challenging track conditions, Gautier Paulin collected two seventh place results for fifth overall at the GP of Latvia. The Frenchman remains third in the MXGP class championship standings. 

Showing some great speed Paulin’s teammate Max Anstie wrapped up his first GP back from injury by claiming ninth in moto one and a season best seventh place result in moto two. Getting a well-deserved boost of confidence, the young Brit remains positive of some even better results in the coming races. 

Trying to capitalise on his blistering pace that saw him earn the runner-up spot during Saturday’s qualifying moto, Max Nagl collected 11/9 results for eighth overall at the GP of Latvia. 

The Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing team will return to action at round eight of the 2017 FIM Motocross World Championship in Germany on May 19/20. 

Thomas Kjer-Olsen“It was an unbelievable GP for us. From winning the qualifying race to getting a clear victory in moto one and then battling our way to second in moto two for the overall win, I can truly say I’m very happy with how things evolved in Latvia. Since the beginning of the season we’ve been making steady progress and that clearly shows in our results. Together with the overall victory I’m also really happy that I managed to do my own races. I remained calm and focused and even when I had to make some crucial passes in moto two I took my time and made it happen when I had to. This victory had been a great confidence booster. The pressure for a victory is off now and we will continue taking one race at a time.” 

Conrad Mewse“I’m really happy with my performance in Latvia. We’ve made some major changes during the past few weeks and that helped me find my drive. Recently I decided to return to the UK and now I’m back living closer to my family. Mentally I feel a lot stronger and I believe it showed in our results. My speed has been great during both motos. I got a great start in moto one and went on to claim ninth. Following an equally good start in moto two I gave it all I had to eventually finish third, which is the best moto result in my career so far. We now need to keep that same drive for the following GPs.” 

Thomas Covington“It was an up and down weekend but we showed the speed is there. In moto one I had a terrible start and then I was forced to battle my way through the pack. Making some good passes I managed to cross the line in sixth place. My start was a lot better in moto two and I managed to take the lead on lap four. Unfortunately, a few laps later I hit a big hole in the face of a jump and went down hard landing on my shoulder. Luckily there’s no injury. Overall, we’re happy with our speed in the deep sand and I’m now looking forward to getting back to the hard-packed terrain in Germany.” 

Gautier Paulin“It was a really challenging GP and I’m happy we managed to collect some good points for the championship. Track conditions were tough but it’s the same for everybody so that’s no excuse. To be honest following our win last time out we were expecting for some better results but things cannot always come our way. This weekend we worked hard on further improving our bike setup and we managed to find a very good setup for Sunday’s motos. Getting two bad starts made my life harder but I did my best to remain close to the leading pack in both motos. Also in moto two I stalled the bike and had a small fall. Claiming two seventh place results for fifth overall is not bad at all under these circumstances. We keep our heads down and will continue doing our best in the GPs to come.” 

Max Anstie“We enjoyed a solid come-back from injury and I think that’s what matters the most. Coming into Latvia I was a bit stiff during Saturday’s qualifying race but my pace kept improving as the weekend went on. On Sunday I rode two strong motos being able to ride smoothly and always within my limits. I forgot all about the injury and could do my own races. I started moto one outside the top 20 and slowly built my way up to ninth at the chequered flag. My start wasn’t good either in moto two but I kept my head down to eventually claimed seventh. It’s my best moto result in the MXGP class and it shows the speed is there. We will keep the momentum going hoping for some even better results in the races to come.” 

Max Nagl“I’m really satisfied with my riding during the weekend. We got off to a strong start in the qualifying moto. I got the holeshot and was leading the race until the last lap. A few small mistakes made me settle for second. Going into the final motos I was really motivated for some good results and the bike was working great. Despite getting two bad starts I pushed hard in both motos. In moto one I had a small fall while battling to get inside the top ten so ended up finishing 11th. Then in moto two I battled my way from 18th to eighth at the finish line. I’m happy with seventh overall, especially in such a challenging track. I’m happy to go back home in one piece and will continue working hard for my home GP in Teutschenthal in two weeks time.” 

Results – FIM Motocross World Championship, Round 7 

MXGP - Overall 
1. Jeffrey Herlings (KTM) 50pts; 2. Antonio Cairoli (KTM) 38; 3. Evgeny Bobryshev (Honda) 38… 5. Gautier Paulin (Husqvarna) 28; 6. Max Anstie (Husqvarna) 27; 7. Max Nagl (Husqvarna) 23… 11. Tanel Leok (Husqvarna) 19… 15. Harri Kullas (Husqvarna) 13… 22. Rui Goncalves (Husqvarna) 3 

MXGP - Race 1 
1. Jeffrey Herlings (KTM) 17 laps, 34:09.136; 2. Clement Desalle (Kawasaki) 34:23.057; 3. Evgeny Bobryshev (Honda) 34:25.199… 7. Gautier Paulin (Husqvarna) 34:53.424… 9. Max Anstie (Husqvarna) 35:00.478… 11. Max Nagl (Husqvarna) 35:05.319; 12. Tanel Leok (Husqvarna) 35:16.161… 17. Harri Kullas (Husqvarna) 35:46.789… 23. Rui Goncalves (Husqvarna) 

MXGP - Race 2 
1. Jeffrey Herlings (KTM) 17 laps, 34:23.826; 2. Antonio Cairoli (KTM) 34:41.672; 3. Arminas Jasikonis (Suzuki) 34:47.673… 6. Max Anstie (Husqvarna) 35:11.734; 7. Gautier Paulin (Husqvarna) 35:13.712; 8. Max Nagl (Husqvarna) 35:16.908… 11. Tanel Leok (Husqvarna) 35:41.637; 12. Harri Kullas (Husqvarna) 35:51.088… 17. Rui Goncalves (Husqvarna) 36:07.942 

MX2 - Overall 
1. Thomas Kjer-Olsen (Husqvarna) 47pts; 2. Pauls Jonass (KTM) 45; 3. Calvin Vlaanderen (KTM) 34… 5. Conrad Mewse (Husqvarna) 32… 11. Thomas Covington (Husqvarna) 19… 14. Karel Kutsar (Husqvarna) 12; 15. Anton Gole (Husqvarna) 11… 23. Brian Hsu (Husqvarna) 3 

MX2 - Race 1 
1. Thomas Kjer-Olsen (Husqvarna) 17 laps, 34:37.013; 2. Jeremy Seewer (Suzuki) 34:39.610; 3. Pauls Jonass (KTM) 34:40.156… 6. Thomas Covington (Husqvarna) 35:07.988… 9. Conrad Mewse (Husqvarna) 35:24.770… 12. Henry Jacobi (Husqvarna) 35:44.177… 16. Anton Gole (Husqvarna) 35:57.127… 18. Brian Hsu (Husqvarna) 36:01.038; 19. Karel Kutsar (Husqvarna) 36:03.055… 27. Ivan Petrov (Husqvarna) 16 laps, 34:48.571 

MX2 - Race 2 
1. Pauls Jonass (KTM) 17 laps, 35:08.557; 2. Thomas Kjer-Olsen (Husqvarna) 35:11.250; 3. Conrad Mewse (Husqvarna) 35:17.085… 11. Karel Kutsar (Husqvarna) 35:52.635… 15. Anton Gole (Husqvarna) 36:01.892… 17. Thomas Covington (Husqvarna) 36:14.669… 22. Brian Hsu (Husqvarna) 36:21.166… 27. Henry Jacobi (Husqvarna) 36:49.003… 30. Ivan Petrov (Husqvarna) 37:15.886 

Championship Standings (After Round 7) 

MXGP 
1. Antonio Cairoli (KTM) 258pts; 2. Tim Gajser (Honda) 241; 3. Gautier Paulin (Husqvarna) 220… 9. Max Nagl (Husqvarna) 139… 14. Max Anstie (Husqvarna) 96… 16. Tanel Leok (Husqvarna) 73… 19. Rui Goncalves (Husqvarna) 49… 22. Harri Kullas (Husqvarna) 21 

MX2 
1. Pauls Jonass (KTM) 287pts; 2. Jeremy Seewer (Suzuki) 245; 3. Thomas Kjer-Olsen (Husqvarna) 235… 8. Thomas Covington (Husqvarna) 152… 19. Conrad Mewse (Husqvarna) 55; 20. Anton Gole (Husqvarna) 49… 22. Iker Larranaga (Husqvarna) 43… 25. Brian Hsu (Husqvarna) 31… 28. Henry Jacobi (Husqvarna) 20; 29. Caleb Ward (Husqvarna) 20; 30. Karel Kutsar (Husqvarna) 14… 35. Ivan Petrov (Husqvarna) 1… 38. Aaron Tanti (Husqvarna) 1